NATSIWA is incorporated under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Commonwealth).
NATSIWA aims to work to advocate and empower the voices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women in Australia.
NATSIWA’S AIMS & OBJECTIVES are to:
- Provide national leadership and recognition of the status and of the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women;
- Protect and advance the wellbeing and rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women;
- Secure economic, political, social, educational, cultural and environmental futures for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women by working with governments, service providers, communities and other stakeholders;
- Build strong relationships with government, industry and among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, based on mutual respect and equality;
- Identify issues, research solutions and educate government service providers and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women to achieve the above purposes; and
- Be an international voice by advocating on behalf of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
ACTIVITY PLAN FOR 2017/2018
NATSIWA 12 months activity plan is:
- KEY ACTIVITY 1: To support a DV program/resource in traditional language, incorporating traditional knowledge with Torres Strait Islanders and Wadeye NT
- KEY ACTIVITY 2: Working with AWAVA – family law and family violence
- KEY ACTIVITY 3: Reducing violence for Torres Strait Islander women
- KEY ACTIVITY 4: The Action Plan Working Group – National Plan to reduce violence against women and their children.
- KEY ACTIVITY 5: National Plan & Homeless Working group. The Action Plan Working Group
- KEY ACTIVITY 6: Distribute feminine hygiene/sanitary products to remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities
Please read the acticle below regarding our call out and support for hygiene/sanitary products, if you would like to donate, send email to either Sandra or Kadie.